Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Truth

John 14:6-I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life...

This Sunday we took a look at what it means for Christ to be the truth. With that, you have to ask yourself what truth really is. I shared with the students that when I get a sense of awe, I see truth.
For instance, when I see a huge purple harvest moon, the love of a couple reciting their vows, a new life coming into the world-yea,
those things put me in a sense of awe. Those things show me truth. Those things show me Jesus.
These feelings really help me know that there is something bigger out there, something that holds this whole world together. I know that God is there when I'm in awe.
Kavod is Hebrew for the 'weight or significance of God'. Rob Bell puts it this way: God is heavy; so heavy, in fact, that we cannot take Him anywhere. Bell argues that God is already there. I agree. As Christians, we often feel that it is our job to take God to people who don't know Him yet. This Sunday I challenged the students to change their way of thinking on that. Rather than trying to take God (remember-He's heavy), we need to be showing people that God is already there. How do we do it? Show them truth! Help them to get that sense of awe that shows you without a shadow of a doubt that there is something bigger out there holding it all together!
As Christians we need to be looking for God everywhere. It's our job to recognize God where others cannot seem to see Him. Genesis 28:10-17 and Exodus 3 are great example of this. Check it out.
In order to do this, I told the students they have got to get uncomfortable and go places where it is hard to see God. Once they are there, they have to point out truth. They have to point out Jesus. If you check out the pictures along the side of this post you'll see some ways that the students can get involved in our community. They can literally go to these places and point out truth to people who are there. They can go and show people Jesus!
We've already had 10 students sign up to go to these missions to give people a taste of John 14:6. We're challenging all of them to do it though. Will you go to these places? Will you go to other places and help people to see truth, to see Jesus? I hope you will.

I cannot take God anywhere. He's already there. It's time to show people that.
Where do you see truth? Where do you see Jesus. Tell someone.
.

1 comments:

shana said...

Whoa. Coolest WSM graphic I've ever seen. Kinda wanna steal it... :)

And the J4J plug is much appreciated, too! We love you guys!!