Wednesday, July 15, 2009

There's something about fire...


At about 9pm tonight I jumped into the pool at Kendahl's parents' house. Afterwards I realized how poor of a decision I had made as it was only about 68 degrees outside. Rather than going inside though, I decided I would build a fire in their firepit instead. This was by far one of my best decisions of the week.

After I built the fire, Kendahl walked outside. She looked at me and asked what was wrong. It is funny how well she knows me. I generally only build fires if something is wrong or I have something important that I need to spend some serious time thinking about.
There is something about fire. I don't know if you get it or not, but I sure do. When I'm sitting in front of a fire, especially one outside, I can think so clearly. I love just contemplating as I look into the flames. I've had a lot on my mind today so having this fire was absolutely perfect.
After Kendahl went back inside I realized I had stopped thinking about all that was on my mind and had switched my thoughts to why I loved fire so much. I think I've figured it out.
I see God in fire. Oxymoron? I don't think so.

Exodus 2: God speaks to Moses in a burning bush.
Exodus 13:21-God led the Israelites through the night with a pillar of fire.
Ezekiel 22-God speaks of how fire purifies precious metals by getting rid of dross.
Numbers 31-God speaks of how fire cleans.
Acts 2: As the Holy Spirit came upon the people, tongues of fire rested upon them.

Those are just a few examples of fire in the Bible. Sure, there are plenty examples of how fire kills, how God uses fire to punish, and even the eternal flames of Hell. All things that aren't too pleasant to think about. But ask yourself this-didn't God create fire for those reasons as well.

I see God in fire. I see his creativity, his splendor, his majesty. I see his complexity and his calming nature.

I love fire because when I look into it, I can see God.

0 comments: