Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Do you love God or believe in Him?

This post is a bit late-sorry!

Two weeks ago at HS youth group we challenged the students with this:

  • Do you love God or do you just believe in Him?
I really think those are two totally different things. Anyone can believe in God, just like anyone can believe in Santa Clause. Believing in Santa Clause doesn't take much though. Ask him for some things throughout the year, and then hopefully get those things on Christmas day. Ask God for something things throughout the year, and hopefully get them....right?

That isn't love.
That's believing....hardly.

Loving God means that you stop just asking Him for things and start praying, really praying. That means listening too-not just talking! That means making God your life rather than trying to make God a part of your life. That means seeing God for who He is, not who you want Him to be.

In Ecclesiastes 5 Solomon tells us not to rush into God's presence with words.
In James 1 we're told to be slow to speak and quick to listen.
In Romans 1 we learn how we can see God (through His creation).
In Psalm 19 we're told of how the heaven and earth praise God for who He is.

Do you mimic those 4 passages? I know it is hard for me to. I tend to start my prayers out with words. I like to talk first and listen second (if at all). At times I struggle to awe at God's creation. And I definitely forget to praise Him for who He really is.

You see, when you love God-He comes first.

0 comments: